At Sandhole Veterinary Centre, we strongly support the principle of insuring your pet against unexpected illness or accidents.
However, not all insurance cover is the same. Some policies only cover a condition once (clearly, this is not ideal for arthritis and heart disease that require lifelong treatments). Some limit the time and amount of money you can claim for, whilst others may enforce countless exclusions.
Our advice is always to shop around to make sure that your chosen policy meets your needs and suits your pet's circumstances.
Always check the small print and be sure to ask:
- Is the policy lifelong?
- How much will the policy pay per condition?
- How much will you pay each year for the insurance?
- Are any conditions excluded?
We understand that when you have the stress and worry of an ill or injured pet, handling all the paperwork regarding an insurance claim can be the last thing you need. We can usually help by managing the claim directly with your insurer, providing that you request this in advance of your appointment or your pet's discharge.
Please understand that, reflecting the time and level of involvement required for direct claims, in most cases, for us to manage your claim directly:
- The expected final bill must be over £500
- All insurance documentation and a signed claim forms must be presented upfront
- Direct claims must be approved by a senior team member
- An upfront payment will be taken to cover your policy excess (this will be either the standard £100 minimum or the required amount/percentage according to the terms of your policy)
- Please ask one of our team to confirm that we can offer direct claims with your insurance company
- Direct claims incur a £25 administration charge. Please be aware that this cannot be claimed back from your insurance company.
- Please note that from the 1st October 2021 due to the costs associated with processing your claim there will be a charge of £12 for the first claim form and then £8 for any continuation form associated with that claim. There will be no charge for Friends and Family and HPC members.